by Dom Jones
I’ve personally felt that over the past decade or so, music festivals have become these elitist events where only well-to-do people can congregate to both engage freely in cultural appropriation and enjoy some of music’s biggest stars without the interference of those of us who simply can’t afford to attend. This is why, every year, I meet the announcement of Coachella with a “meh” and keep moving. This year, though… I kind of want to go. Okay, I’m fronting: I REALLY want to go. Here’s why:
5. Kehlani: Maybe you’ve forgotten about Kehlani’s tumultuous year, but 2016 was not always kind to her. As a fellow Oakland girl (and human being in general), I felt for her when the internet dragged her both for personal choices and personal trauma. People from my town are resilient, though, and I’m glad she’s finding her footing and taking the stage again. I’d love to be there to support her!
4. Schoolboy Q: He’s a great example for those of you who are always asking your friends to “put you on” that with hard work in combination with your network, you can actually get on. Yes, he’s Kendrick’s homeboy, but he actually has talent of his own and, clearly, work ethic. Plus, “Studio” is my jam. I’d definitely be singing this at the top of my lungs. Another plus for Schoolboy Q is that he’s had production from one of my favorite producer/singers and Berklee alum, Gwen Bunn.
3. Little Dragon: Who doesn’t absolutely ADORE Little Dragon? Seriously. I’m kicking myself for all of those times they came to the Bay Area when I lived there, and I didn’t grab tickets to see them live. Now, they’re going to the big stage at Coachella, and all I want to do is stand in the audience and sing “Twice” super loud. This is literally me when Little Dragon hits the stage.
2. Kendrick Lamar: Because the way our country (hell, our world) is moving politically, I need to hear “Alright” live in a huge crowd. Because I would ball my eyes out if he also did “Dying of Thirst.” Because I need to know if his breath control is really that mainey like that, so I can get my life together as a rapper. Because Beyoncè will also be there, and I would FAINT and then jump back up until the end of the song and then FAINT again, if they performed “Freedom.” And speaking of…
1. BEYONCÈ: I could just leave it blank after this because what more do I need to say other than Beyoncè? Here’s the thing, though: she’s the first woman to headline in 10 years and the first black woman to headline EVER. EVER, you ask?! EVER. No, I don’t know why Coachella has been on one this whole time, but at least their getting their act together post-Lemonade (they better!). I just want to lose my voice to all the Lemonade tracks. I just want to twerk to Formation in a crowd where no one knows how actually non-twerkish I am in normal life. I just want to have nice things. Can’t I have nice things?
Apparently not, guys. Coachella is sold out. So, while it will be lit… it will not be lit for me.
ARE ANY OF YOU GOING? SOUND OFF IN THE COMMENTS!